VMware is looking for software quality engineers who are passionate about changing the future networking with the NSX network virtualisation system test team. The ideal candidate has a wide variety of software experience in the areas of distributed systems testing, networking, object oriented programming, virtualization software, and building/automating clouds.
You will be expected to become an expert on the next generation NSX product. In the system test team we consider ourselves to be the first customer. This means that we anticipate problems customers will experience before they experience them, and we do this through writing comprehensive end to end test cases. We utilise complex automation to build the test environments and execute the test cases. In addition to testing end to end functionality we also have the opportunity to think creatively, and shape the product’s features and behavior to create a better user experience for the customer.
As an engineer in system test you’ll be responsible for owning the end to end testing of one or more major subsystems in the next generation NSX network virtualisation product. You’ll be expected to coordinate not only within the system test team, but across the development organization to ensure a feature is tested from the functional, scale, system, and performance perspectives. You will be given broad problem sets, and trusted to implement well-engineered solutions. Additionally, you’ll be responsible for leveraging your industry experience to give broad input into test framework design, and test strategy.
You must understand enterprise software and operating systems broadly. Anything from understanding linux internals, windows internals, complex routing technologies, storage configuration, common network protocols, to cloud systems, backup methodologies, and virtualization.
A strong understanding of software quality engineering methodologies, and enterprise software is a must. This is a rewarding position for people who love to problem solve, revel in figuring out complex problems, love debugging, and have a thirst for learning.
- Write high quality test code to execute complex tests on a distributed system
- Clear verbal and written communication
- Be a strong advocate of software quality
- Visit customer sites to understand production deployments
- Work across teams with SEs, Support engineers, and across the Dev and QE organizations
- Create test plans for entire releases
- Coordinate activities of junior and senior engineers
- Implement code to streamline automation, and reduce cycle times
- Track test deliverables to product release schedule
- At least 4+ years of experience in software development or quality engineering
- 2+ years of Python or equivalent
- Object oriented programming
- Virtualisation experience - Installation/Configuration/Administration (ESX and KVM a plus)
- Operating Systems: Deep Linux knowledge - Installation/Configuration/Administration (RHEL and Ubuntu a plus), Windows Server, Windows 7
- Strong understanding of L2 and L3 networks, VLANs
- Basic storage understanding - e.g. RAID, SANs, NFS, iSCSI
- Networking troubleshooting / debugging - e.g. tcpdump, wireshark, traceroute, route, netstat
- Network protocols: TCP, UDP, ARP, DHCP, ICMP, IPv4/IPv6
- Self-sufficient, but knows when to ask for help
- SCM: git, gerrit, Perforce, SVN
Mandatory Bachelor degree in Computer Science (or higher) and equivalent work experience
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Quality Engineering
Experience: Manager and Professional
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2021-08-31
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.