Senior Software Engineer (German Speaking)
About VMware Tanzu
Ready to build? So are we. Come join VMware’s Tanzu Labs App Services team. At VMware Tanzu, we deliver products and services under the Tanzu portfolio to help customers build, run and manage their most important applications.
At Tanzu Labs App Services, we are focused on working with customers to drive the business outcomes of their innovation and application modernization initiatives through designing and building technology together. We bring our consultant product managers, designers and software engineers together with customer teams to build up their skills in designing, building, modernizing and maintaining technology, so they are empowered to drive impact themselves in the future.
Our principles are:
- Empower Teams - Diverse teams with shared context, psychological safety, and decision-making authority move faster.
- Start Simple - Learn just enough to begin and let the work inform the direction.
- Embrace Change - Expect change and turn it into opportunity.
- Deliver Early and Often - Ship value to users and measure impact to lower risk.
- Improve Continuously - We are always learning and humbled by what we don’t know.
- Give Back - Share our time, tools, and methodologies to maximize our impact.
To learn more about the Tanzu product portfolio, watch this To learn more about Tanzu Labs App Services, please visit our website on
You have a passion for high-quality, reliable and maintainable code. You enjoy working side by side with product managers, designers, and clients, making decisions together in order to quickly deliver valuable working software to clients and their users. Working in an environment with continuous learning through experiments and reflection is what you love. You thrive when your colleagues thrive and enjoy helping and mentoring them to achieve the best outcomes for clients and company. You are pragmatic to deliver working solutions that meet the current needs best. Above all, you judge your success by the success of your team and the happiness of our customers.
What You’ll Be Doing
You will be working on the VMware Tanzu Labs App Services team. You will be helping customer product teams to:
design and deliver modern, mission-critical, cloud-native applications
modernize existing legacy applications
build up their skills and empower them to drive impact themselves
As a software engineer, you will pair with client software engineers, coaching them in Extreme Programming (XP) methodologies and approaches, while helping them to define, validate, communicate, and execute product vision and strategy. You will work with a team of product managers, designers, and engineers to enable your client team to go fast forever.
All of our positions are highly collaborative consulting roles, with 85-90% of time spent in direct, 1:1 pairing or larger team collaboration. During the COVID-19 crisis, this collaboration is all managed remotely, with the expectation to move to a hybrid engagement model with balanced remote and face-to-face collaboration in VMware Tanzu Labs offices once the crisis is resolved.
You Will Be Responsible For
- Working with your client engineers to enable them in XP software development practices and/or application modernization practices
- Pair programming with clients and other VMware Tanzu Labs engineers to build/modernize software based on the team’s backlog
- Working with your team to provide technical input on product, design, and architectural decisions (such as technical complexity and feasibility)
- Help the team manage risk and uncertainty while moving the team forward
- Teaching your client pairs how to do the above for themselves
- Help enable client leadership to grow their own engineering practice
- Contributing back to VMware Tanzu Labs’ engineering practice through mentorship, giving talks, and experience reports
Required Skills and Experience
- Experience in training, mentoring and/or upskilling others
- Strong communication skills and interest in a pair-programming environment
- Experience in Test Driven Development (TDD) and agile methodologies, including refactoring
- Several years of Software Development experience in a variety of programming languages
- Interest in full-stack development
- Passion for growing your skills, tackling interesting work and challenging problems
- Experience developing cloud-based enterprise software
- Ability to incrementally define and improve system architecture as a product evolves
- Up to 50% travel is expected in this role once travel opens up again
- Ability to Work From Home until sufficient resolution of the COVID-19 Crisis
- Fluent in German and English language
If you are passionate about this opportunity but don’t meet 100% of the requirements, we encourage you to apply.
Desired Skills and Experience
Below is a list of skills we value. This is not a checklist. If you have some of these skills, and want to grow into others, then we want to hear from you.
- Experience modernizing legacy applications/systems in languages such as Java or C#/.NET
- Experience building and deploying in a continuous delivery environment
- Experience working directly with clients
- Experience with domain driven design and evolutionary architectures
- Experience in release management
- Experience supporting production systems using Site Reliability Engineering (SRE) practices
- Experience with Kubernetes or related automation / orchestration tools
- Experience with cloud solutions like Tanzu, AWS, GCP, Azure are a plus
- First experiences in team-level leadership are a plus
- BA/BS in Computer Science or related field, or equivalent experience
What’s it like to work at VMware Tanzu
We believe that teams should spend more of their time delivering incremental value and less on building infrastructure. We’re building platforms, tools, and automation, including Tanzu Application Service, Tanzu Kubernetes Grid, and Tanzu Mission Control, to enable our customers to easily and confidently develop and run the software that powers their business. Hundreds of companies rely on our platform to meet the needs of millions of their customers. Our engineers embrace Extreme Programming (XP) as a way to go fast forever and deliver remarkable results. Our product managers and product designers work side-by-side with our engineers in small, empowered teams, using Lean and User Centered Design (UCD) as guides. We measure success by making our customers more productive, as software developers, product managers, and product designers. We enable our customers to build high quality products and highly efficient software development teams.
Category : Engineering and Technology
Subcategory: Software Engineering
Experience: Manager and Professional
Full Time/ Part Time: Full Time
Posted Date: 2021-08-05
VMware Company Overview: At VMware, we believe that software has the power to unlock new opportunities for people and our planet. We look beyond the barriers of compromise to engineer new ways to make technologies work together seamlessly. Our cloud, mobility, and security software form a flexible, consistent digital foundation for securely delivering the apps, services and experiences that are transforming business innovation around the globe. At the core of what we do are our people who deeply value execution, passion, integrity, customers, and community. Shape what’s possible today at http://careers.vmware.com.
Equal Employment Opportunity Statement: VMware is an Equal Opportunity Employer and Prohibits Discrimination and Harassment of Any Kind: VMware is committed to the principle of equal employment opportunity for all employees and to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment. All employment decisions at VMware are based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without regard to race, color, religion or belief, national, social or ethnic origin, sex (including pregnancy), age, physical, mental or sensory disability, HIV Status, sexual orientation, gender identity and/or expression, marital, civil union or domestic partnership status, past or present military service, family medical history or genetic information, family or parental status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate. VMware will not tolerate discrimination or harassment based on any of these characteristics. VMware encourages applicants of all ages. Vmware will provide reasonable accommodation to employees who have protected disabilities consistent with local law.