Mechanical Design Engineers in Tesla’s Drive Systems Engineering Team are responsible for the design, release and launch of all components within Tesla’s Vehicle Drive Units. Every component of our Drive Units is custom design to be the best possible for mass, cost, and efficiency.
Mechanical design tasks focus on a variety of drive unit subsystems including: electric motors, gears/bearings, lubrication/cooling, structures/integration, and testing and some test equipment design. This role begins with a 12-month rotational program where candidates would work on three of these drive unit specialties, each for an approximately 4 months. This rotational program is intended to expose Drive Systems Mechanical Design Engineers to a broad range of drive unit specific experience and allow them to become effective at attacking a variety of drive unit design problems. You will be part of the team that creates and executes world-class drive units in terms of performance, efficiency, cost, and manufacturability.
- Drive Unit system level design utilizing parametric modeling to evaluate performance trade-offs.
- Component level design of a wide variety of parts within the five main drive unit subsystems.
- Finite element analysis.
- Thermal and fluid modeling.
- 2D drafting and 3D modeling utilizing CAD software.
- Statistical analysis for component stack up requirements.
- Component level testing for performance, durability, reliability, and variability.
- Supplier coordination for high volume contract manufacturing.
- Component quality troubleshooting resulting in supplier corrective action.
- Production support for assembly of Drive Unit components including process and tool development to achieve equipment performance requirements.
- Test specification design.
- Bachelor of Science in Mechanical Engineering (MSME preferred) preferably with experience in rotating machinery design, EV powertrain design, or other applicable mechanical engineering field.
- Demonstrated technical aptitude from concept through release and launch for production or the equivalent in experience and evidence of exceptional ability.
- Proficiency in 3D modeling and 2D drafting within a product development environment (CATIA V5 preferred).
- Basic understanding and experience with Geometric Dimensioning and Tolerancing (Fluency Preferred).